I have claimed my feed using the "Claim your device" page (https://pachube.com/devices/currentcost
) however now all of my devices are reporting a status of FROZEN.
I have removed one of the bridges via my.currentcost.com and re-added as this was a recommendatin on one blog, but that didn't work.
I powered off/on one another bridge and that didn't work
Now I have found a tweet from Current Cost (@current_cost) : 14-dec "Some netsmart users reporting frozen bridges after transfering to the Pachube dashboard. We advise not to tranx until Pachube have resolved".... not sure if this is still valid, but I can't find any notifications to say its fixed....